Libertine Social, a next generation gastropub that celebrates dining as the ultimate social experience, will open at Mandalay Bay this August. The restaurant evokes James Beard Award-winning Chef Shawn McClain’s personal philosophies through vibrant design by the firm Studio Munge.
The design narrative of Libertine Social began with a delayed business trip turned serendipitous adventure for Chef McClain, Studio Munge’s Principal Interior Designer Alessandro Munge and Modern Mixologist Tony Abou-Ganim. An extended layover at LAX brought the partners to Venice Beach’s hip Abbot Kinney neighborhood, where they explored the intimate dive bars interspersed with chic galleries and consignment shops. Chef McClain’s belief that life’s greatest moments are those shared with good food and friends resonated with the trio during their journey.
“The eclecticism of Abbot Kinney is what really inspired the idea of Libertine Social,” said Chef McClain. “While exploring the neighborhood, we created this fictional persona of ‘Kyle,’ who is the soul of the town – both as an entrepreneur and as the host of its social scene. Eventually, ‘Kyle’ would guide every decision we made while creating the concept and design for Libertine Social.”
Libertine Social’s space celebrates the adventurous spirit of Americans with a story to tell whether the night-before was spent at a formal cocktail party, sneaking onto a rooftop terrace, or just hanging out at the go-to neighborhood bar. The restaurant was designed with an open layout, achieving a social ambiance that allows guests to move through the space freely and mingle with others.
Munge said, “It’s like walking into the loft space of your most stylish friend. You simultaneously feel welcomed and intrigued by your surroundings.” The personalized elements found throughout the décor are nods to the roots of Libertine Social’s own creators – a curated collection of travels, experiences and style.
Much like Abbot Kinney, known for its adaptive reuse of buildings, Libertine Social will repurpose existing structures within the space. The restaurant’s exterior utilizes the previous façade, but will be transformed with a large-scale graffiti artwork by world-famous street artist Alex Diaz. Diaz – whose murals draw inspiration from nature, animals and surrealism – will also design an original tag on Libertine Social’s outdoor patio.
Featuring two bars, a social dining room, chef’s table and patio, each room of Libertine Social will take on its own character of a house party, allowing guests to have different experiences depending on their mood. The variety of experiences available at Libertine Social will ensure that a guest never has the same encounter twice.
About Libertine Social
- Voyeur Lounge: Guests will enter Libertine Social through Voyeur, an eclectic lounge filled with unexpected yet comfortable furnishings, quirky artwork and a party vibe. The Voyeur Lounge will be highlighted by a retro jukebox with an unrivaled catalog of music that lets guests take center stage as they pick a song and set the tone for the night.
- Bar Scene: Anchoring the lounge will be Social Bar, layered with rich textures and eye-opening decor such as a large, antique glass arch centered over the bar and a “Stay Wild” neon light that bathes patrons in a purple glow. A second smaller bar, used to showcase the expert craftsmanship and art of mixology, will be tucked away at the rear of the restaurant. Warm and rich in texture, this ultra-cool bar-within-a-bar will be reminiscent of a fine English pub with chic elements such as a curio credenza filled with trinkets and bottles that make the bar feel like it was plucked out of a home library. The bar will serve as an ideal spot for private parties.
- Chef’s Table: Libertine Social’s open kitchen and chef’s table will be a central hub between the lounge and the dining area. Exposed grills and prep areas offer guests a chance to interact with chefs and become a part of the culinary process.
- Social Dining Room: This space will offer the perfect balance between lounge and dining experiences with tables intimately placed. A collection of personal photos will grace the wall to inspire guests of past adventures and those yet to come.
- Patio: Libertine Social’s outdoor patio, layered with soft lighting from the exposed string of bulbs and intimately placed furnishings, will create the experience of an enviable rooftop terrace. The essence of Abbot Kinney will be brought to the space through large graphic statements and colorful lighting.
- To-Go Counter: Outside, guests will be greeted with a food truck inspired To-Go counter, equipped with sidle-up seating and lighting inspired by street lamps.
Learn more about Libertine Social here.
About Mandalay Bay
Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino is a unique destination resort set on 120 lush acres on the Las Vegas Strip. The resort offers three distinct hotel experiences: Mandalay Bay with 3,211 luxurious rooms and suites reflecting a modern tropical ambiance; Four Seasons Hotel, a AAA Five Diamond hotel offering 424 newly remodeled rooms and suites; and the luxury all-suite Delano Las Vegas that debuted September 2014. Mandalay Bay boasts an 11-acre tropical pool paradise featuring real sand, a wave pool, the only climate-controlled, poolside gaming in the city and DAYLIGHT Beach Club. Other resort highlights include world-class entertainment at the 12,000-seat Mandalay Bay Events Center, award-winning dining by celebrity chefs and restaurateurs, LIGHT Nightclub, Shark Reef Aquarium, Spa Mandalay and the recently expanded 2-million-square-foot Mandalay Bay Convention Center. Mandalay Bay also is home to Michael Jackson ONE, Cirque du Soleil‘s latest resident production based on the music and choreography of the King of Pop. Mandalay Bay is an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM). For more information and reservations, visit mandalaybay.com, call toll free at (877) 632-7800 or find them on Facebook and Twitter.